Sunday, 9 August 2026

Sunshine in a Yellow Dress: How I Learned to Take Up Space in Public


 



I almost didn’t wear this dress today.  


It’s yellow. Bright, floral, impossible to ignore. The kind of dress that says “look at me” even when you’re just trying to get coffee.  

My first thought was: _“Is it too much? Will people stare? Should I wear jeans instead?”_  

Then I put on the denim jacket, slipped on my white espadrilles, pushed my sunglasses on top of my curls, and walked out anyway.  


Because I’m done shrinking.  


And if you’ve ever stood in front of your closet debating whether you’re “allowed” to be seen, this post is for you.  

#### 1. Why a Yellow Dress Feels Like a Revolution 

Let’s be real. In 2026, we’re still telling women to be smaller.  

Smaller opinions. Smaller appetites. Smaller presence.  


But a yellow sundress on a sunny day in a busy downtown? That’s the opposite of small.  

It’s joy. It’s color. It’s “I’m here and I’m not apologizing for it.”  


I used to think bright clothes were for other people. The confident people. The “skinny” people. The people with nothing to hide.  

I thought I had to earn the right to wear color by first fixing everything about myself.  


Spoiler: That day never comes.  


So I bought the dress. Not for a special occasion. Not for photos.  

For a Tuesday. For coffee. For me.  

#### 2. The Coffee Shop Test 

You know the test.  


You walk into a cute outdoor cafe. Cobblestone streets. Tables with little espresso cups. Everyone looks like they’re in a rom-com.  

And you immediately start scanning: _“Do I fit in here? Is my outfit okay? Is my body too big for this chair?”_  


I failed that test for years.  

I’d wear black. I’d sit in the corner. I’d order water so I wouldn’t “take up too much.”  


Today I did the opposite.  

Yellow dress. Denim over my shoulders. I ordered a latte and sat at the table in the middle.  

Did people look? Yeah.  

Did I care? Less than I used to.  


Because here’s what I’ve learned: Most people aren’t looking at you.  

And the ones who are? They’re either admiring you or dealing with their own stuff. Neither is your problem.  


#### 3. What This Outfit Actually Cost Me  

Let’s break down the real price tag:  


The yellow dress: $38 from a small brand online  

The denim jacket: Thrifted for $12  

The espadrilles: $25 on sale  

The confidence to wear it: 3 years of therapy, 200 bad days, and deciding I’m worth more than my insecurities  


That last one was the most expensive. And the most worth it.  


We talk about “body positivity” a lot online. But the real work isn’t posting the photo.  

It’s wearing the thing in real life. With no filter. In daylight. Around strangers.  


That’s where the growth happens.  

#### 4. 5 Lies I Believed About Dressing for My Body


Lie 1: "Bright colors make you look bigger."  

No. Insecurity makes you feel smaller. Color makes you feel alive.  


Lie 2: "You need to hide your arms."  

The denim jacket is cute. But I wore it because I wanted to, not because I was ashamed. There’s a difference.  


Lie 3: "Save the cute dress for when you lose 10 pounds." 

You’ll wait forever. Wear it now. Take the photos now. Live now.  


Lie 4: "People will judge you."  

Some will. Most won’t. And the ones who do are showing you who they are.  


Lie 5: "You need permission."

You don’t. The only permission slip you need is from yourself.  

#### 5. Downtown Days: The Underrated Form of Self-Care  

There’s something about a sunny day in a small downtown that heals you.  


No agenda. No shopping list. Just walk.  

Pop into the bookstore. Sit for coffee. Watch people. Let the sun hit your face.  


We’re so used to “productive” self-care: workouts, meal prep, 5am routines.  

But what about joyful self-care?  

The kind that doesn’t track steps or calories.  

The kind that just feels good.  


Today was that for me.  

Yellow dress. Cold brew. People-watching. Curls in the wind.  

No podcast. No to-do list. Just present.  


If you’re burnt out, try this before you book another “wellness retreat.”  


#### 6. To the Girls Who Feel “Too Much”  

Too loud. Too curvy. Too colorful. Too emotional. Too visible.  


I see you.  

The world will try to tone you down.  

Your family might say “are you sure you want to wear that?”  

Strangers might stare.  

Your own brain will whisper “maybe wear something else.”  


But you are not too much.  

The world is just used to too little.  


This yellow dress isn’t about fashion.  

It’s about deciding that my joy doesn’t have to be quiet.  

That my body doesn’t have to be smaller to deserve nice things.  

That I can take up space on a sidewalk and still be kind, and soft, and worthy.  

#### 7. How to Style a Statement Dress Without Overthinking It 

If you love this look but feel nervous, here’s my 3-step formula:  


1.  One statement piece: For me it’s the yellow dress. Let it be the star.  

2.  One comfort layer: Denim jacket. It makes anything feel more “you” and less “trying.”  

3.  One easy shoe: White espadrilles. Comfy, cute, and they go with everything.  


Add sunglasses on your head, a simple necklace with your initial, and you’re done.  

The goal isn’t perfection. The goal is: “I feel like myself.”  

#### 8. The Part That’s Hard to Post  

I took 20 photos before this one.  

I almost deleted them all because my stomach looked “weird” in one and my arms looked “big” in another.  


That voice is still there.  

The difference is, I don’t listen to it like I used to.  


Healing isn’t about the voice going away.  

It’s about choosing to post anyway.  

Choosing to walk out anyway.  

Choosing yourself anyway.  

#### 9. Your Invitation for This Week  

I’m not telling you to buy a yellow dress.  

I’m telling you to do the thing you’ve been putting off because you’re scared of being seen.  


Wear the red lipstick.  

Sign up for the class.  

Post the photo.  

Take the solo trip.  

Say the thing.  


Start small. Coffee shop small.  

Walk downtown in something that makes you feel good and notice how the world doesn’t end.  


Because it won’t.  

And you’ll feel 10% more free on the other side.  


#### Final Thoughts: Sunshine Is a Choice  

The sun was out today. But sunshine isn’t just weather.  

It’s a decision.  


To choose joy over fear.  

To choose visibility over hiding.  

To choose yourself over the version of you that was trying to be liked by everyone.  


So if you need this reminder: You are allowed to be bright.  

You are allowed to be seen.  

You are allowed to take up space, even on a regular Tuesday.  


The world needs more color. And you are part of that color.  

---  


Let’s talk: 

What’s one thing you’ve been wanting to wear or do but have been holding back on? Drop it in the comments. I’ll cheer you on 💛  

And tag a friend who needs to wear the damn dress already.  



_With sunshine and zero apologies,_  

Olive 


#BodyPositivity #YellowDress #SummerStyle2026 #ConfidenceJourney #DowntownVibes #SelfLove #TakeUpSpace #CurvyStyle #OOTD #JoyfulLiving #WomenSupportingWomen #RealLifeGlowUp  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Pages

olive

Best Free and Premium Blogger Templates Provider.

Buy This Template