I’m sitting on a bed of golden leaves right now.
The air smells like cinnamon and woodsmoke. The sun is low and warm, cutting through the trees in that way only October light can. I’m wearing an oversized beige knit sweater that feels like a hug, and all around me, the trees are letting go.
Leaf by leaf.
Branch by branch.
No panic. No resistance. Just fall.
And it hit me: I’ve been trying to hold on to things that were already meant to fall.
#### 1. Why Autumn Feels Like a Permission Slip
Spring is loud. Summer is busy. Winter is quiet.
But autumn? Autumn is honest.
Nature doesn’t pretend in fall. Trees don’t cling to green leaves because they’re scared of looking bare. They release them. They let the wind take what’s done.
And somehow, it’s beautiful.
We don’t talk about that enough in the US. We’re taught to keep growing, keep producing, keep “adding more” all year. But autumn says: _it’s okay to shed._
It’s okay to end the friendship.
It’s okay to quit the job that drains you.
It’s okay to let your body be soft.
It’s okay to not have it all figured out yet.
This sweater I’m wearing? I bought it 2 years ago when I was in a season of trying to be “perfect.” Tight clothes. Tight schedule. Tight grip on everything.
Today it fits differently. Not because it changed. Because I did.
#### 2. The 3 Things Falling Leaves Reminded Me
1. Letting go is not failure.
A tree doesn’t feel guilty when its leaves drop. It knows new ones will grow in spring.
But we do that to ourselves. We stay in situations 6 months too long because we think leaving means we “gave up.”
No. Leaving means you made space.
2. Color comes before the fall.
Look at these trees. They’re the most beautiful right before they go bare. All the gold, amber, red.
The same is true for us. The hardest seasons often come right before the biggest growth. Don’t miss the color because you’re afraid of the cold.
3. You don’t have to do it all at once.
Leaves don’t all fall on the same day. One today. Three tomorrow.
Healing works the same way. One boundary. One therapy session. One “no.”
Small releases add up to a whole new season.
#### 3. The Sweater Season State of Mind
There’s a reason we all love fall fashion.
Summer clothes are about showing. Fall clothes are about _comforting_.
Oversized knits. Thick socks. Scarves you can hide in.
It’s like the world collectively decides: “Let’s soften.”
For me, this beige sweater is that energy. It’s not trying to be trendy. It’s not loud. It’s warm. It’s safe. It’s me.
I spent so long dressing to be noticed. Now I dress to feel like myself.
And weirdly, when you do that, people notice you more.
Because authenticity is magnetic.
#### 4. What We Get Wrong About “Productivity” in Fall
September hits and suddenly everyone in the US is in “grind mode.”
New goals. New planners. New “that girl” routines.
But nature is doing the opposite.
Nature is slowing down. Storing energy. Preparing to rest.
Maybe we should too.
I used to think I had to launch a new project every fall to feel worthy. This year I’m trying something different: a “falling” list instead of a to-do list.
Things I’m letting fall:
1. The need to answer every text immediately
2. Comparing my behind-the-scenes to everyone’s highlight reel
3. Saying yes when I mean no
4. The version of me who thought she had to be small to be loved
It’s scary. But so is holding on to dead leaves.
#### 5. A Love Letter to Curly Hair in Autumn
Can we talk about curly hair and fall wind for a second?
It’s chaos. It’s frizz. It’s leaves getting stuck.
And it’s perfect.
For years I straightened my curls because I thought “messy” meant “unprofessional.”
But look at these trees. Messy is literally the aesthetic of the season.
So today I let my curls be big. I let them catch the light. I let them be wild, like the wind.
Because control is overrated. And softness is underrated.
If you have curly hair, textured hair, or any hair that “does its own thing” — this is your season. Let it.
#### 6. The Quiet Work No One Sees
Fall looks peaceful from the outside.
What you don’t see: roots growing deeper underground. Trees pulling nutrients in. Animals preparing.
That’s what this season is for me too.
No big announcements. No new job. No engagement.
Just quiet work. Therapy. Journaling. Saying no. Cooking at home. Walking without headphones.
The world calls it “doing nothing.”
I’m calling it “getting ready.”
Because spring always comes. But only if you do the work in fall.
#### 7. 5 Ways to Have Your Own “Autumn Reset” This Week
You don’t need to live near pretty trees to do this.
1. Do a closet shed: If you haven’t worn it in 1 year, donate it. Make space for what fits who you are now.
2. Golden hour walk: 15 minutes. No phone. Just notice the light. It’s free therapy.
3. Write a “release” list: What are you ready to let fall? A habit? A grudge? An expectation? Burn it, delete it, or just say it out loud.
4. Cook something warm: Soup. Tea. Apple crisp. Feed your body like you love it.
5. Wear what feels good: Not what’s trending. What feels like a hug. For me today, it’s this knit.
#### 8. The Hard Truth About Seasons
Here’s what no one tells you: Fall is bittersweet.
It’s beautiful and sad at the same time.
It’s the end and the beginning.
It’s grief and gratitude.
That’s life too.
You can be proud of how far you’ve come AND sad about what you had to leave behind.
You can be excited for what’s next AND scared of the unknown.
Both can be true.
Autumn taught me that.
#### Final Thoughts: What I’m Taking With Me Into Winter
The leaves will keep falling. The days will get shorter. Eventually the trees will be bare.
But I’m not afraid of that anymore.
Because I know what comes after bare branches.
I know that rest is part of the cycle.
I know that I don’t have to force blooms in the wrong season.
So today I’m choosing to be like the trees.
Rooted. Patient. Willing to let go.
Trusting that what’s meant for me won’t require me to break myself to keep it.
If you’re in a “shedding” season too, I see you.
It’s lonely. It’s quiet. It’s necessary.
And spring is coming. I promise.
---
What’s one thing you’re ready to “let fall” this autumn? Comment below. Let’s release it together 🍂
And tag someone who’s been your person through every season.
_With golden light and gratitude,_
Olive
#AutumnReflections #LettingGo #FallVibes #SelfGrowth #SeasonalLiving #MindfulLiving #OversizedSweater #GoldenHour #MentalHealth #YouAreNotBehind

No comments:
Post a Comment