The dress was an impulse buy.
I saw it online at 2am. Midnight blue velvet, tiny sparkles all over it like a night sky, sweetheart neckline. I almost didn’t click "add to cart."
"Too dressy," I told myself. "Where would you even wear it?" "Save it for a special occasion."
Tonight I decided my bedroom _is_ the special occasion.
So I put it on. Big platinum curls down. Gold "A" necklace. Gloss. No heels, no event, no audience except me and my phone camera. And for the first time in a long time, I didn’t feel like I was dressing for anyone else.
If you’ve ever bought something beautiful and waited for "the right time" to wear it... this post is your sign to wear it now.
### 1. Why Velvet? The Fabric That Feels Like Confidence
There’s something about velvet.
It’s not cotton. It’s not linen. It’s rich. It catches the light. It makes you stand up a little straighter when you put it on.
This dress is midnight blue with subtle sparkles. In person it looks like the sky 10 minutes after sunset.
Velvet used to feel "too much" for me. Too grown. Too sexy. Too noticeable.
But I’m learning that "too much" is just code for "people aren’t used to seeing you take up space."
3 ways to wear velvet without feeling overdressed:
1. At home: Like I did here. Pair it with bare feet and your favorite playlist.
2. Dressed down: Velvet dress + denim jacket + sneakers.
3. Dressed up: Add heels, a clutch, and go.
The point isn’t the occasion. The point is how _you_ feel in it.
### 2. Platinum Curls & Low Light: My Hair Care Reality
This photo was taken at night in my bedroom. The lighting is dim, warm, and real. No ring light.
And my hair? Still doing its thing.
Platinum blonde, natural curls, about shoulder length but looks longer because of the volume.
Caring for bleached curls is a full-time job. Here’s what actually keeps them from breaking:
The Non-Negotiables
1. Protein + Moisture Balance: 1 protein treatment a month, weekly deep condition. Too much of either and your hair snaps.
2. Heat Protection: Even diffusing. Always.
3. Satin Everything: Bonnet at night, pillowcase, scrunchies. Cotton is the enemy.
4. Trims: Every 10-12 weeks. Split ends travel up.
Some days my curls are defined. Some days they’re frizz. Tonight they’re big, soft, and catching the velvet. And that’s enough.
### 3. The "Dress For Yourself" Rule
I used to have a rule: Don’t wear the cute thing unless there’s a party, a date, or a photo shoot.
Where did that rule come from?
Probably from scrolling and seeing people only get dressed up "for" something.
But why am I waiting for permission to feel pretty?
Why is the only time I’m allowed to feel good in my body when someone else is watching?
So new rule: If it makes you smile in the mirror, wear it.
To make pasta. To fold laundry. To take a selfie in your bedroom at 9pm.
This velvet dress taught me that. Confidence isn’t about where you’re going. It’s about who you’re being right now.
### 4. Body Image: Owning the Sweetheart Neckline
Let’s talk about the neckline for a second, because I know some of you are thinking it.
For years I avoided sweetheart and scoop necks. I’d pull them up. I’d layer. I’d say "I’m just not a dress person."
The truth? I was scared of being seen.
This year I’ve been practicing something called "body neutrality with softness." It’s not "I love every inch of me 24/7." It’s: "This is my body. It’s soft. It’s strong. It deserves clothes that fit it _today_."
The dress fits me now. Not the "after" me. Not the "goal weight" me. Me.
And the "A" necklace? That’s for me too. A reminder that I’m allowed to be the main character in my own life.
### 5. Creating Mood at Home: Night Selfies 101
Everyone asks how I get the lighting in my night photos.
Truth: It’s not fancy.
1. One lamp: I turned off the overhead light and used a warm lamp behind the camera.
2. Clean background: Bed made, shelves tidy-ish. You don’t need a whole aesthetic room.
3. Phone timer: 3 seconds so my arm isn’t in the shot.
4. No filter: Just brightness + slight contrast edit.
Your bedroom can be your studio. You don’t need to wait to be somewhere "pretty" to take a pretty photo.
### 6. The Psychology of Color: Why Midnight Blue Feels Powerful
Blue is calm. Navy is trust. But midnight blue? That’s different.
Midnight blue is depth. It’s mystery. It’s the color of late-night talks and big dreams.
In color psychology it’s linked to wisdom, confidence, and intuition.
Wearing this dress felt like putting on armor, but soft armor. Like I could sit quietly and still be the most interesting person in the room.
If you’re in a rut, try wearing a color that feels like the version of you you want to become. For me this month, it’s midnight blue.
### 7. 5 Affirmations I Said Before Taking This Photo
I almost deleted this photo 4 times.
Then I said these out loud:
1. "I am not waiting to live my life."
2. "My body is not a problem to be solved."
3. "Joy is a good enough reason to get dressed up."
4. "I can be soft and powerful at the same time."
5. "Someone out there needs to see me in this."
Say them. Even if you don’t believe them. Especially if you don’t believe them.
### Final Thoughts: To The Girl With The Dress In Her Closet
You know the one.
The dress with the tag still on.
The one you said you’d wear "when you lose 10 pounds" or "when you have somewhere to go."
Wear it this week.
To the grocery store. To water your plants. To sit on your bed and write in a journal.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.
You don’t get these nights back.
I’m not posting this because I think I look perfect. I’m posting it because I want the version of me from 5 years ago to see that it gets better. That you stop shrinking. That you start choosing yourself.
So here’s to velvet nights, big curls, and doing things just because they make you happy.
What’s one thing you’ve been "saving for later" that you’re going to do this week? Tell me in the comments. I’m reading them all 💙
---
Outfit Details:
Dress: Midnight blue sparkle velvet sweetheart dress
Necklace: Gold initial "A" pendant
Hair: Platinum blonde natural curls
Makeup: Gloss, minimal
Setting: Bedroom, warm lamp light
A 1000-word post about body confidence, velvet fashion, curly hair care for bleached hair, and why you should wear the dress now. Real talk on self-love and at-home photos.
#VelvetDress #BodyConfidence #CurlyHairCare #SelfLoveJourney #MidnightBlue #AtHomePhotos #FashionForYourself #PlusSizeStyle #MentalHealth #GlowUp

No comments:
Post a Comment